Sunday, January 25, 2015

Romijn pipe ashtray

Hello and good day to you! Today's post is about a very cool and new addition to my pipe collection:


Romijn 'Bianco del Mare' ashtray, Onyx tamper & Poul Stanwell Collection 925 - 15
A Romijn 'Bianco del Mare' ashtray!

I'm already a proud owner of a stone Romijn pipe tamper for about six years. It's a greenish tamper made out of Onyx that I've bought from my friend Martin Romijn on the first big(compared to today's meetings it wasn't that big!) pipe smokers meeting of the Duch/Flemish Pipe Smokers Forum in Leerdam.

PRF pipe smokers meeting 2010, Leerdam, The Netherlands
Our meetings are huge nowadays and on the last one I went to were about 50 pipe smokers! Lots of new faces, but also a lot of old friends. I'm always looking forward to these days...

About the Onyx tamper. I was sold immediately when I saw it! Because of its green color and darker, vertical stripes it gives a sort of cactus-like impression. I can't explain it well with words, so I'll convince you later with some photos!

Half a year ago I was using my Onyx tamper again and came up with the idea that it would be awesome to have a stone ashtray with a desert-like appearance and some space in it to hold my stone tamper! I had already seen a lot of Romijn ashtrays on his website and in real-life, so I knew it would be possible. I've contacted Martin and asked him about the possibilities and if there was a type of stone that could fulfill my plan. He came up with the idea to use a sort of marble/limestone with the name 'Bianco del Mare' and sent me a photo of it. It was exactly what I was looking for, so: yes!

Making tampers, pipe stands and ashtrays out of stone isn't an easy job and acquires a lot of talent, creativity and craftsmanship. I've said it before: photography simply can't show the real beauty of this art and what I'm about to show you is ten times prettier in real-life than it is on a screen. It's almost impossible to make a photo that shows the true, natural and clear pureness of this ashtray and tamper, but here they are:

Romijn 'Bianco del Mare' ashtray, Onyx tamper & Poul Stanwell Collection 925 - 15
Romijn 'Bianco del Mare' ashtray, Onyx tamper & Poul Stanwell Collection 925 - 15
Romijn 'Bianco del Mare' ashtray, Onyx tamper & Poul Stanwell Collection 925 - 15
I've also made some other photos to show you how handy this ashtray is and that almost any pipe fits!
Romijn 'Bianco del Mare' ashtray, Onyx tamper & PRF - Missouri Meerschaum - Patriot
Romijn 'Bianco del Mare' ashtray, Onyx tamper & PRF - Missouri Meerschaum - Patriot
Romijn 'Bianco del Mare' ashtray, Onyx tamper & PRF - Missouri Meerschaum - Patriot
Do you guys see what I mean with the cactus like tamper and desert like ashtray or is it just me?! It's exactly what I wanted and I'm very satisfied with it!

Romijn 'Bianco del Mare' ashtray, Onyx tamper & Peterson - System 303, my favorite Latakia pipe!
And if you're worried about if that huge pipe you have with that life threatening size bowl will fit, check out this Missouri Meerschaum - MacArthur Emperor pipe (with the name and date of birth of my son Arthur written on it: check out one of my older posts HERE):

Romijn 'Bianco del Mare' ashtray, Onyx tamper & Missouri Meerschaum - MacArthur Emperor
Romijn 'Bianco del Mare' ashtray, Onyx tamper & Missouri Meerschaum - MacArthur Emperor
I really recommend Romijn's stone products to everyone. If my blog post hasn't convinced you and you're afraid to take the "risk" buying an ashtray, just buy yourself a tamper first and you'll see all the beautiful details of it and realize that it's worth much more than the decent price you've paid for it.

Nowadays almost everything is produced in fabrics. It's all mass production and the reason for that is to make as much money as possible in a very short time and because of this, everything looks alike.

Right now I'm almost at the end of my pipe... I'm smoking Germains Mixture No 7 out of a pouch that I've bought in Germany earlier this year in my Poul Stanwell - Collection. I've read some positive, but also a lot of negative reviews online and although it's not a heavy and complicated blend, I do enjoy it. It's neutral and easy to smoke. It's tobacco that tastes like tobacco and has a little flavor that I can't describe very well. An easy-go smoke for when you're doing something else next to it, like writing a blog post!

The End

Now let me see... Ah! Here's a link to Martin Romijn's website:
Just check it out and don't hesitate to contact him and tell him about your wishes. He might have something for you!

Next blog post will probably be about cacti again. I'm already changing my plans about what I'm going to sow and I'm adding more and more species to my list... It's terrible! I just can't help it! =P

Till next post!


No comments:

Post a Comment